Re: [patch] remove the BKL (Big Kernel Lock), this time for real

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 09:29:12 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

the attached patch is a new approach to get rid of Linux's Big Kernel
Lock as we know it today.

Interesting approach. Did you measure what it does to context
switch rates? Usually adding semaphores tends to increase them
a lot.

Is that (necessarily) a bad thing? If it results in less time waiting for BKL, and/or more time doing user work, that may drive throughput and responsiveness up. It depends if the time for two ctx is greater or less than the spin time on BKL.

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, use the semaphore if there is a process on the run queue, and spin if not. That sounds complex, and hopefully not worth the effort.

High ctx rates are not necessarily bad, when we implemented O_DIRECT for an application the rate went up 30%, the outbound bandwidth went up 10-15%, and waitio dropped by half at peak load. As long as something useful is being done with the time previously wasted in spinning, I would expect it to be a win.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)