Re: The ultimate TOE design

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 19:29:18 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:08:18 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There's nothing inherently wrong with sticking a computer running
Linux inside another computer ;-)

And we already support that :-)

Plus we have things like TSO too but that doesn't require a full Linux
instance to realize on a networking port.
Simple silicon implements this already.
I don't see how that differs from your "big MTU" ideas.

Part of this is about how to talk to business people.... marketing.

The typical definition of TOE is "offload 90+% of the net stack", as opposed to "TCP assist", which is stuff like TSO.

If people ask about how to support TOE in Linux, you can say "sure, we _already_ support TOE, just stick Linux on a PCI card" rather than "no we don't support it."

And wha-la, we support TOE with zero code changes ;-)

Jeff, who would love to have a bunch of Athlons
on PCI cards to play with.