Re: The ultimate TOE design

From: Deepak Saxena
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 19:01:14 EST

On Sep 15 2004, at 21:04, Paul Jakma was caught saying:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> >Put simply, the "ultimate TOE card" would be a card with network ports, a
> >generic CPU (arm, mips, whatever.), some RAM, and some flash. This card's
> >"firmware" is the Linux kernel, configured to run as a _totally indepenent
> >network node_, with IP address(es) all its own.
> >
> >Then, your host system OS will communicate with the Linux kernel running
> >on the card across the PCI bus, using IP packets (64K fixed MTU).
>
> >My dream is that some vendor will come along and implement such a
> >design, and sell it in enough volume that it's US$100 or less.
> >There are a few cards on the market already where implementing this
> >design _may_ be possible, but they are all fairly expensive.
>
> The intel IXP's are like the above, XScale+extra-bits host-on-a-PCI
> card running Linux. Or is that what you were referring to with
> "<cards exist> but they are all fairly expensive."?

Unfortunately all the SW that lets one make use of the interesting
features of the IXPs (microEngines, crypto, etc) is a pile of
propietary code.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/

"Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment
and will die here like rotten cabbages." - Number 6