Re: The ultimate TOE design

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 18:57:13 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:23:49 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The typical definition of TOE is "offload 90+% of the net stack", as opposed to "TCP assist", which is stuff like TSO.

I think a better goal is "offload 90+% of the net stack cost" which
is effectively what TSO does on the send side.

A better goal is to not bother with TOE at all, and just get multi-core processors with huge memory bandwidth :)

Again, the point of my message is to have something _positive_ to tell people when they specifically asked about TOE. Rather than "no, we'll never do TOE" we have "it's possible, but there are better questions you should be asking"

Jeff