Re: PCI coprocessors

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:51:48 EST

Andre Bonin wrote:
1) Is their support for having two different 'machine types' within one kernel? that is for example, certain executables for intel would get run on an intel processor, and others would get run on processor with type XXXX.

I heard once someone put native "java" .class support within the kernel (it would call the jvm run time if i remember). I could maby do this with my own set of libraries and driver. But differentiating between the types of executable might be hard.

2) Is their kernel support for PCI coprocessors for thread allocation etc. I couldn't find any but i can try looking through the code again.

You can mix and match processor types all you want... just treat them as completely asynchronous and independent entities.

I have long dreamed of being able to add a PCI card to my x86 system, a PCI card containing a processor (of any type), RAM, and an ethernet interface. I would use this for routing, or iSCSI, or network offload...

Jeff