Re: Latest microcode data from Intel.

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:43:06 EST

Dave Jones wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 04:43:59PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> The microcode driver handles the case of different types of CPUs in an SMP > system internally. Namely, it selects the appropriate microcode data > chunks for each CPU and then uploads them correctly to each one. Anyway, > it only works for Intel processors, so AMD is not in the equation anyway > (unless I discover that AMD processors support similar feature and enhance > the driver to support it).

Okay, then there was no need to patch the load program other than "it makes me feel better" to use the per-CPU loader if present ;-) I've spent more time for less benefit on other software, so I don't feel bad.

They do support the feature, but AMD folks have stated on this list that they
don't intend to release any updates other than through their
conventional means (Ie, BIOS updates).

That's fine as long as you run some approved BIOS, your vendor provides timely updates, etc. Having been on the wrong end of a few cases where a BIOS "upgrade" broke something, I confess to liking the separation of functionality.

There was a post just 2-3 weeks ago where someone patched microcode.c to
work on AMD64s.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)