Re: [2.6.8.1/x86] The kernel is _always_ compiled with -msoft-float

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 10:57:30 EST

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 16:35, Tonnerre wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 02:14:18AM +0600, Denis Zaitsev wrote:
> > Why this kernel is always compiled with the FP emulation for x86?
> > This is the line from the beginning of arch/i386/Makefile:
> >
> > CFLAGS += -pipe -msoft-float
> >
> > And it's hardcoded, it does not depend on CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION. So,
> > is this just a typo or not?
[snip]
> Thus we force gcc to use the library functions for floating point
> arith, and since we don't link against gcc's lib, FPU users get a
> fancy linker error.

It's a shame that gcc doesn't have -mno-float which could disable
floating point completely and produce a more useful error message than a
missing symbol at link time

I searched for ages just yesterday for the "float" in some kernel code I
acquired recently... To be fair I was grepping for float and it was a
double that was being used so if I'd had my brain turned on I would have
found it quite quickly, but you get the point.

Has anyone ever suggested such a flag to the gcc folks?

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Megadeth - Pyschotron

Mind your own business, Spock. I'm sick of your halfbreed interference.