Re: offtopic: how to break huge patch into smaller independent patches?

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 06:51:32 EST

On Mittwoch, 15. September 2004 07:27, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> Personally I find source control tools utterly useless for exactly this
> reason. Akpm uses his own set of tools which someone packaged up as
> "quilt" I think. I have a similar set that works by patch number, his
> are controlled by a series file. Suggest you look at his tools - if he
> can manage a release every few days with several hundred patches in, they
> must work pretty well ;-)

Seconded. I just inherited an equally sized patch from another party
and started looking into quilt for this. It doesn't save you from
understanding the patch, but it works wonders reducing the overhead
of doing the split once you know what you want to end up with.

What I'm doing now is keeping the patch files from quilt in the
CVS tree that also contains the patched kernel itself.

Arnd <><