Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 19:00:07 EST

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:34:40AM +0100, Gianni Tedesco wrote:
> Surely fsck can be done on top of /etc/dev.d/ by just writing to a FIFO?
> That'll serialize up the fsck caller...

with file locking in /var/run I didn't necessairly meant to call
flock(2), the fifo in your example would act like a mutex lock, but more
than the fifo, we need a bit more of API, the dev.d script will have to
look for a certain file in /var/run and block on it to serialize. I just
hope the spin loops will go away soon from the userspace ;)