Re: Fix allnoconfig on arm with small tweak to kconfig?

From: Nicolas Pitre
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 16:09:41 EST

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 07:51:19PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > Basically, there's a fair amount of conditions under which Kconfig
> > fails to perform reasonably, and these (little used) targets are
> > an example of that.
> >
> > If you want something that's guaranteed to work, use one of the
> > per-platform default configurations. Nothing else carries any
> > guarantee what so ever on ARM.
> >
> > (Also, I have no interest in all*config myself so even if someone
> > does fix it, chances are it'll get broken again. I believe that
> > the concept of all*config is a fundamentally broken concept for an
> > architecture with numerous platform configurations.)
>
> what about providing a reasonable (not necessarily useful)
> configuration for a minimal arm setup (maybe for each endianess)
> and one for a maximal (read: as many as possible) options
> selected which - and this is the important part - are known
> and supposed to compile (regardless if they make sense or are
> used in actual systems)?

See arch/arm/configs/* for many configuration examples. They are all
separate ARM targets and usually a given config enables as much
sensible options
as possible for that target. It seems to me that using
'make neponset_defconfig && make all' is a relatively good configuration
to test toolchain regressions, at least for an ARMv4 build.

If you need, say, a minimal test configurations with the least selected
options as possible, I don't think anyone would object including such a
default config file.

> if this isn't in _your_ interest, then maybe some specific
> (considered representative) system defaults can be used instead

Right.

Nicolas