Re: radeon-pre-2

From: David Bronaugh
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 15:44:14 EST

Alex Deucher wrote:

How would any of these plans handle power management and ACPI events?
I'd like to be able to suspect my laptop with the DRI enabled, or have
the DDX (or whatever) handle acpi lid and button events or put the
chip into various power modes.

Alex

Since I've been doing a little bit of ACPI hacking (and gained a bit of understanding of it), I think I should probably speak on this one.

With the current ACPI infrastructure, you don't have the DDX or whatever catching ACPI events -- acpid catches ACPI events, and does appropriate things via scripts. So lid and button events can do things, but -- X doesn't handle them. Scripts called by acpid do.

As to putting chips into various power modes -- wouldn't this be better off in kernel, not in X? My impression is that this wouldn't be a large amount of code. It could also abstract away some details of chip power management -- it could (potentially) not matter if it's done via ACPI or via a custom bit of code for a chip. And it could expose a file in sysfs to adjust power settings for the graphics chip. Then the system that exists for handling ACPI events can happily keep being how it is.

Yu, Luming has been doing a lot of work in the area of a generic ACPI "video features" driver -- such a driver could do such things as change which heads are enabled, set backlight power, and generally muck with graphics state. I suspect some possible nasty interaction could happen, since ACPI could affect graphics state in some pretty hairy ways. It might be a good idea to get in contact with him before the user emails show up...

David Bronaugh

ps: I kinda trimmed the CC: list on this