Re: radeon-pre-2

From: Michel Dänzer
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 11:42:24 EST

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 02:05 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:45:18 -0400 (EDT), Vladimir Dergachev
> <volodya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Frankly, I don't understand the fuss about that. When you run a 3D
> > > client on X today, 3D client and X server share the accelerator with
> > > this scheme, and as imperfect as it is, it seems to do a pretty good job
> > > in my experience.
> >
> > Not that good - try dragging something while a DVD video is playing.
>
> The overlay could be converted to use the CP engine as well. right now
> it has to switch to MMIO for overlay.

The question is whether that matters at all, i.e. whether the registers
used for the overlay are FIFO'd.

Either way, I don't see how this is related to the way DRM context
switches are handled.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer