Re: Calling syscalls from x86-64 kernel results in a crash on Opteronmachines

From: Constantine Gavrilov
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 10:59:26 EST

Brian Gerst wrote:

You should never use the unistd.h macros from kernel space. Call sys_foo() directly. This may mean you have to export it. The reason it crashes is that the "syscall" opcode used by the x86-64 macros (unlike the "int $0x80" for i386) causes a fault when already running in kernel space.

--
Brian Gerst

I can see from the crash report that the fault happens. I want to understand why.

I can use workarounds. (Calling sys_foo() directly from module can be a problem -- I would have to know the "versioned" function name or the address of the function within the kernel space. Calling an entry from the syscall table is much easier.)

Constantine Gavrilov
Kernel Developer
Qlusters Software Ltd
1 Azrieli Center, Tel-Aviv