Re: radeon-pre-2

From: Vladimir Dergachev
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 10:53:46 EST

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

On Llu, 2004-09-13 at 15:52, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
However, if we want the switch from X to framebuffer to be as fast as
switching between different text consoles (assuming they have the same
resolution) and if we want to be able to run different Xservers on
different consoles or Xserver+framebuffer combinations Jon's proposal
wins.

It depends how the various components fit together. Clearly for Radeon
you want everyone using the DMA command path when DRI is loaded. That
doesn't require "one driver".

Alan, do I understand right that you are proposing to have two pieces of code in the framebuffer - one that can program the card in the absence of DRM driver and one that uses CP when it is present ?

best

Vladimir Dergachev