Re: Fix allnoconfig on arm with small tweak to kconfig?

From: Russell King
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 03:17:09 EST

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:53:33AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> 'make allnoconfig' generates a broken .config on arm because
> none of the boolean CPU types get selected.
> ARCH_RPC *does* get selected ok, and I can make CPU_SA110 the
> default if ARCH_RPC, but that doesn't help, since allnoconfig
> sets all booleans that are exposed to the user to false, so
> CPU_SA110 remains false.

allnoconfig is broken. It doesn't generate a legal configuration on
this platform.

There are cases where you have the choice of selecting several options
and you may select one or more. Zero options selected is not valid.
Unfortunately, Kconfig does not provide a way to express this.

> I tried it (see patch below), but couldn't get it to work in first
> few tries. Can someone who understands kconfig have a look?

I don't think hacking around allnoconfig works - it means that we
have to decide on a default for every configuration. ARCH_RPC is
only one such small case. There's loads more.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/