Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Len Brown
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 23:54:31 EST

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 03:48, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Udo A. Steinberg" <us15@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:16:26 -0700 Andrew Morton (AM) wrote:
> >
> > AM> Random guess: acpi_evaluate_object() is returning an error but
> is
> > AM> allocating memory anyway.
> > AM>
> > AM> In acpi_battery_get_status():
> > AM>
> > AM> status = acpi_evaluate_object(battery->handle, "_BST", NULL,
> &buffer);
> > AM> if (ACPI_FAILURE(status)) {
> > AM> ACPI_DEBUG_PRINT((ACPI_DB_ERROR, "Error evaluating
> _BST\n"));
> > AM> return_VALUE(-ENODEV);
> > AM> }
> > AM>
> > AM> Is that failure path being taken?
> >
> > Is there a way for me to find that out without recompiling and
> rebooting?
>
> Looks like you need to set CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG and then put the
> right number into /proc/acpi/debug_layer.

For the battery module:
# echo 0x00040000 > /proc/acpi/debug_layer

and then to turn on everything about it:
# echo 0xffffffff > /proc/acpi/debug_level

These hooks exist only if the kernel is built with CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG.

It would be interesting to know if you can examine the contents of
/proc/acpi/battery/*/*

thanks,
-Len