Re: Linux 2.4.27 SECURITY BUG - TCP Local (probable Remote) Denialof Service

From: Peter Zaitsev
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 01:31:05 EST

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 20:47, David S. Miller wrote:

> If the application doesn't close it's file descriptors there is
> absolutely nothing the kernel can do about it.
>
> It's a resource leak, plain and simple.
>
> > That being said - below is a the proper description, and the code
> > used to exploit it. Hope it helps. This version is not the one
> > which invokes the CLOSE_WAIT state, but rather the TIME_WAIT one,
> > I am not able to publish the source code for the CLOSE_WAIT bug.
>
> There is nothing wrong with creating tons of TIME_WAIT sockets,
> they simply time out after 60 seconds (unless hit by a RESET
> packet or similar). This is how TCP works.

Hm,

As this question arose may I ask where this timeout is configured ?

There is tcp_fin_timeout configuration but I found nothing
corresponding to TIME_WAIT.

Here is how it bothers me. On the Web sites using Apache/PHP and MySQL
on different hosts I often see "Sleep" connections hanging for many
minutes on MySQL hosts. Tracking remote host and port shows this
connection is not assigned to any process on other end any more but
rather being in TIME_WAIT state.

I do not care about TIME_WAIT connection on client site itself, what
concerns me is, until connection is not fully closed server side does
not seems to be informed connection is dead and so server resources are
not deallocated.

Any ideas ?

--
Peter Zaitsev, Senior Support Engineer