Re: The Serial Layer

From: David Eger
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 22:03:56 EST

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:49:42PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Is anyone currently looking at fixing this before I start applying
> extreme violence ?

While you're at it, could you patch it up so we can have more than one
serial device again? I tracked down a bug a month ago having to do
with the pmac_zilog driver freaking out because it tried to

uart_register(major=TTY_MAJOR, minor=64, nr=foo)

and someone else had gotten there first. It boils down to a call
to register_chrdev_region(), which fails if the requested space is
taken, instead of looking past the claimed device numbers for some
more empty ones...

-dte