Re: radeon-pre-2

From: Vladimir Dergachev
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 10:55:00 EST

Thus at the very least you would want to mandate the availability of mode
setting part of FB when DRM is loaded - and they you can just as well link
the relevant code together.

You are making a generic assumption for a single card specific problem
in a specific situation. That leads to bad decisions for embedded. It
does argue for mode setting and fb to be separate too.

(Remember for most embedded devices mode setting code is trivial)

Alan,

My point was that you would want to have DRM working on Radeon cards,
right ? And there are complexities of current Radeon hardware that one would have to deal with, no matter how simple it might be to do the same thing for embedded.

Lastly, I am not saying you have to put all the code in the same file.
All I am saying we can mandate that all Radeon HW specific code is linked
in one module - and this would make things easier for developers.

Alternatively, you can have a complicated scheme whereby you load FB and DRM drivers in any order. But DRM would want FB (or part of it) to be present anyway so it should be able to recover from engine lockup.

I would agree that this can be coded as well - but why bother ? Or is it done and working already ?

best

Vladimir Dergachev