Re: radeon-pre-2

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 07:28:45 EST

> If the kernel developers can address this point I would be most
> interested, in fact I don't want to hear any more about sharing lowlevel
> VGA device drivers until someone addresses why it is acceptable to have
> two separate driver driving the same hardware for video and not for
> anything else.. (remembering graphics cards are not-multifunction cards -
> like Christoph used as an example before - 2d/3d are not separate
> functions...)...

Well, Alan's proposal gets things back into a working shape with both
fbdev and get additional benefits like hotplug and autloading without
a major revamp of everything. The major rework will have to happen sooner
or later anyway, but by fixing the obvious problems we face now first it
can be done in small pieces and with far less pressure.