Re: Major XFS problems...

From: Grzegorz Piotr Jaskiewicz
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 06:42:33 EST

Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

<frustrated_admin mode="on">

Does anyone actually use XFS for serious file-serving? (yes, I run it
on my desktop at home and I don't have problems there - such reports are
not really relevant).

Is anyone actually maintaining/bugfixing XFS? Yes, I know the
MAINTAINERS file, but I am a little bit confused here - seeing that
trivial-to-trigger bugs that crash the system and have simple fixes,
have not been fixed in current mainline kernels.

If XFS is a no-go because of lack of support, is there any realistic
alternatives under Linux (taking our need for quota into account) ?

And finally, if Linux is simply a no-go for high performance file
serving, what other suggestions might people have? NetApp?

</>

In my expierence XFS, was right after JFS the worst and the slowest filesystem ever made.
Since than, I am using reiserfs 3.6. I don't need quota for my servers, but there is patch avaliable for it I belive, from SuSE.
ReiserFS is da most reliable FS for linux (with journaling). If you don't need journaling, ext2 is da choice.

--
GJ