Re: 2.6.9-rc1: page_referenced_one() CPU consumption

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 20:44:29 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Hugh Dickins wrote:

I'm quite content to go back to a trylock in page_referenced_one - and
in try_to_unmap_one? But yours is the first report of an issue there,
so I'm inclined to wait for more reports (which should come flooding in
now you mention it!), and input from those with a better grasp than I
of how vmscan pans out in practice (Andrew, Nick, Con spring to mind).

Just want to add, that there'd be little point in changing that back
to a trylock, if vmscan ends up cycling hopelessly around a larger
loop - though if the larger loop is more preemptible, that's a plus.

Yeah - I'm not sure why a trylock would perform better. If it is just
one big address space, and memory needs to be freed, presumably the
scanner will just choose a different page, and try the lock again.

Feel like doing a few more quick tests Nikita? ;)