Re: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 19:52:44 EST

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 05:18:49PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 04:54:09PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > To send an event, the user needs to pass the kobject, a optional
> > sysfs-attribute and the signal string to the following function:
> >
> > kobject_uevent(const char *signal,
> > struct kobject *kobj,
> > struct attribute *attr)
>
> Sorry I missed the flare up of this topic. What about events for which
> there is no associated kobject?

Tough, no event for them :)

> why is the kobject argument not first? Seems weird..

Yeah, it is a bit "odd", but it follows my old kobject_hotplug() way.

> What happened to a formatted string argument? The signal argument can
> become the pre-formatted string, and someone can provide a wrapper
> that takes a printf() like format and args.
> kobject_uevent_printf(kobj, "something bad: 0x%08x", err);

Use an attribute, and have userspace read that formatted argument if
need be. This keeps the kernel interface much simpler, and doesn't
allow you to abuse it for things it is not intended for (like error
reporting stuff...)

thanks,

greg k-h