Re: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to documentthe idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 12:49:36 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

On Gwe, 2004-09-10 at 06:04, Hans Reiser wrote:

Just one of many applications. Watch Joe-user save their word processing file sometime, they'll use spaces, quotes, etc.

With great unhappiness they will.

Its only problematic for the command line users. The GUI doesn't have
some mysterious notion of meta-characters, it provides out of band
information on boundaries.

Forgive me, what is out of band information on boundaries?

Most people I know don't use the GUI for executing commands, perhaps this is because the existing guis are not good enough yet.

This is why I just want to be left alone to tinker with reiser4. It is faster than other filesystems. People should assume I know what I am doing, and leave me to tinker in my little fs. 5 years later others will follow, or not, I don't care.

See I don't care if you tinker with reiser4. I don't care if it turns
out to be a crap fs or a great fs. If its a great fs and scales and
unlike reiser3 can recover well from disk errors then one year I might
even use it.

Is there a technical basis for your claim that we have trouble with disk errors?

Do you mean badblocks support or what?

I do care if you ask me to suffer core API changes for your research,
that in your economics world is an externality. Its a large negative
externality on the part of the userbase so the userbase objects. It
doesn't take a PhD in economics to understand this.

Alan

I think it would be reasonable for people to say that our approach currently has bugs, we should turn metafiles off until we make the bugs go away.