Re: 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 badness in rtl8150.c ethernet driver : fixed

From: Eric Valette
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 06:08:08 EST

Petko Manolov wrote:

Steven Hein <ssh@xxxxxxx> sent me a patch that supposedly fix device registers misinitialization when it is being frequently reseted.

I never saw traces showing the card should be resetted. It hung occasionnaly in the past but did not know who to really blame (USB vs drivers). It is now working well for quite a long time now allthough I periodically transfers more than 100mb via ftp...

I would say lets wait for some time and see if we'll break someone else's
heart and then reverse the patch. Another solution is to restore the original value and add new module parameter, so whoever thinks
anything != 0x10 work better for him will be free to change it.

I'm not sure 2.6.9-rcx-mmx will provide valuable data, we will probably have to wait until distro incoporates this code to get some reasonnable hints... Do you have some well known driver users you could ping to get feedback more quickly?

Anyway, you are aware of the problem and I know how to fix my problem so all is fine.

Have a nice day,

--
__
/ ` Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76 Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette@xxxxxxx