Re: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to documentthe idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 04:42:41 EST

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:09:52AM +0200, Robin Rosenberg wrote:

Maybe file/./attribute then. /. on a file is currently meaningless. That does not avoid the unpleasant fact that has been brought up by others (only to be ignored), that the directory syntax does not allow metadata on directories.

*Not* that I am endorsing the idea of being able to access metadata
via a standard pathname --- I continue to believe that named streams
are a bad idea that will be an attractive nuisance to application
developers, and if we must do them, then Solaris's openat(2) API is
the best way to proceed --- HOWEVER, if people are insistent on being
able to do this via standard pathnames, and not introducing a new
system call, I would suggest /|/ as the separator as the third least
worst option. Why?

What's wrong with using / as the separator? It is already
used to separate components of pathnames. Named streams
are very much like files in a subdirectory.

This scheme makes for very little change to existing tools,
users may then do a "gimp somefile/icon.jpg" for example.
Or "ls somefile/*" to see all the named streams/forks.

Helge Hafting