From: Hans Reiser
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 00:24:16 EST

A friend asked me a question, and because he is very bright it reminded me that I have not done a good job of reviewing the history of the design's evolution.

He asked me, why not just access a filename's size as filename/size?

So, the original idea was to access metafiles as just files within a directory, and it actually remains that way. However, I first decided to make the standard unix metafiles less intrusive on the namespace. So that led to calling it filename/..size and filename/..owner, etc. In this scheme, the use of '..' was just a style convention for metafiles, and not a requirement in anyway.

This was actually pretty decent as a design, but then a user on the mailing list suggested replacing the '..' prefix with a subdirectory prefix. I forget who suggested this and what the prefix was exactly. So we then created a '..metas' subdirectory, and this had the advantage that one could ls it to see all the builtins supported by a given plugin. This is not an important advantage, and I encourage others to critique it.

So, instead of filename/size we have filename/..metas/size. The only thing gained by this is that 'size' has a rarer name of '..metas/size'. The use of the '..metas/' prefix is purely a non-mandated style convention. File plugins that dislike it are free to violate the convention. There is no deep semantic to it, just a cowardly aversion to intruding on current namespace usage with something as common as 'size'. It has the significant disadvantage of being a longer name than 'size' or '..size'. I could be talked out of it.

Hans