Re: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to documentthe idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 19:59:34 EST

Paul Jakma wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:

Putting \ into filenames makes windows compatibility less trivial.

Err, I think Ted used \ as an example of how to escape |. It is not part of the filename.

It is not part of it at one level, but in the shell it is part of it.

Putting | into filenames seems like asking for trouble with shells.

I think that was Ted's precise reason for arguing that | be used. Did you even read his rationale? :)

That trouble is desirable? Yes, I can understand why he might not want things to work well.;-)

If you think \| is user friendly, oh god, people like you are the reason why Unix is hated by many.

I think he was arguing | (not \|) is the least worst seperator to use.

Rather few people understand closure though, so I don't expect to do well in the politics of this. It is a bit like being for free trade, most people will never understand why it is so important because their mental gifts are in other matters,

Lots of people understand why free-trade is important. It's taught in introductory economics/business classes in secondary school.

Have you looked at the political process at all? Or by lots of people, do you mean a sizable minority?