Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk12-R6

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 18:24:30 EST

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:11:39PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Thats a very atypical load where you can expect to get long linear write
> outs. The seek v write numbers for a disk nowdays have more in common
> with a tape drive. Paging tends to be much much more random.

Yes, I mentioned that those kinds of benchmarks are not the workload
we're shooting for in the second part of the message. The commentary
regarding dbench et al on tmpfs suggests that the lower-level parts of
the algorithm are sound, but are somehow driven inappropriately or in a
manner unaligned with what locality of reference there may be.

-- wli