Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk4-R1

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 15:25:29 EST

On Iau, 2004-09-09 at 20:47, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> there are also tools that tweak chipsets directly - powertweak and the
> PCI latency settings. Maybe something tweaks the IDE controller just the
> right way. Also, try disabling specific controller support in the
> .config (or turn it on) - by chance the generic IDE code could program
> the IDE controller in a way that generates nicer DMA.

Do not tweak your IDE controller pci latency without making a backup if
its anything but the base motherboard chipset. Not unless you make
backups first and test it very hard.

Its a particularly popular area for errata.

You could also try lower DMA modes, I don't know if that will help or
not but UDMA133 is essentially "one entire PCI 32/33Mhz bus worth of
traffic so the effects are not too suprising. IDE control ports can give
you long stalls too especially if IORDY is in use.

Alan