Re: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to documentthe idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 14:24:04 EST

Putting \ into filenames makes windows compatibility less trivial. Putting | into filenames seems like asking for trouble with shells. Asking users to keep track of multiple levels of escapes imposed by shells and such is hard on them.

If you think \| is user friendly, oh god, people like you are the reason why Unix is hated by many.

Having to explain filename/metas/owner or filename/.../owner or filename/..metas/owner (I don't deeply care what string is used in place of "metas") is hard enough.

All of that said, if "|" was what people preferred, I could live with it.

Stealing from the namespace has a long history behind it (see WAFL, Clearcase, many others), and has never been a real world problem. It is not so bad. If you manage to find a historical case where someone made a mistake in the past, go ahead and name it, but I think moderate caution in such thievery is enough, paranoia is not required. Frankly I think the people who get paranoid about stealing a little bit from the namespace just aren't experienced enough in such matters.

Making an omelette requires breaking eggs. Making a new semantic layer (or adding features to languages generally) requires stealing from the namespace. POSIX is a least common denominator of operating systems, not something for innovators to follow.

Ted, I encourage you to not innovate and stick with POSIX.;-)

(Oh, and yes, I understand that minimizing the cost of change by being artful is desirable.)

Streams are a bad idea. The additional features required to emulate streams using files and directories are interesting though. Putting metafiles in the fs namespace is an increase in closure for the OS, and thus a good thing, because more closure means more connectivity between OS components.

Rather few people understand closure though, so I don't expect to do well in the politics of this. It is a bit like being for free trade, most people will never understand why it is so important because their mental gifts are in other matters, and the notion that people need to be well connected and free to interact is just way too abstract. That it is the single most important determinant of a nation's wealth, oh well.

Namespace connectivity is the single most important determinant of an OS's expressive power.

Hans