Re: multi-domain PCI and sysfs

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 09:14:38 EST

On Iau, 2004-09-09 at 01:31, Jon Smirl wrote:
> I think the problem is more basic than building a VGA device. I
> wouldn't be having trouble if there were structures for each "PCI IO
> space". An x86 machine would have one of these structs. Other

Depends which x86.

The single trivial arch function I proposed in the previous mail is
enough to untangle this problem and has two virtues

1. For most platforms the implementation is "return 1"
2. The minimal implementation is merely less efficient so you don't
have to hack every conceivable case at once.

> architectures would have multiple ones. You need these structs to find
> any PCI legacy device, the problem is not specific to VGA.

There are essentially no other devices we care about. IDE legacy is
dealt with BIOS level and never touched again - so why bother designing
for them.