Re: [patch][9/9] block: remove bio walking

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 09:03:08 EST

On Thursday 09 September 2004 10:03, Russell King wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:27:04PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > [patch] block: remove bio walking
> >
> > IDE driver was the only user of bio walking code.

was in -bk10 :-(

> The MMC driver also uses this. Please don't remove.

OK I'll just drop this patch but can't we also use scatterlists in MMC?

The point is that I now think bio walking was a mistake and accessing
bios directly from low-level drivers is a layering violation (thus
all the added complexity). Moreover with fixed IDE PIO and without
bio walking code it should be possible to shrink struct request by
removing all "current" entries.

Bartlomiej