Re: GPL source code for Smart USB 56 modem (includes ALSA AC97 patch)

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 08:26:46 EST

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 12:47, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> i trust that someone will download, check it, and if
> appropriate, incorporate it into the mainstream linux kernel.

The ALSA bit is already in the kernel at sound/pci/intel8x0m.c, I don't
know when it was added though. Not sure of the status of the USB bit,
but I think it is normally up to the author to submit something rather
than some 3rd party...

Unfortunately the ALSA driver doesn't work for me, I just get NO
DIALTONE and the following in the kernel logs:

codec_semaphore: semaphore is not ready [0x1][0x300300]
codec_write 1: semaphore is not ready for register 0x54

I only tried it out last night, and I don't really need the modem in my
laptop much (it never really travels much further than the sofa :) so I
haven't really investigated much.

The laptop is a VAIO from several years ago. lspci shows the modem as:
0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. Intel 537 [82801BA/BAM AC'97 Modem] (rev 03)

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Dream Theater - About to Crash

Q: Why did the lone ranger kill Tonto?
A: He found out what "kimosabe" really means.