Re: Major XFS problems...

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 07:13:44 EST

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:42:55AM +1000, Nathan Scott wrote:
> Hi Jakob,

> OK, so could you add the details on how you're managing to hit it
> into that bug?... when you say "trivially" - does that mean you
> have a recipe that is guaranteed to quickly hit it? A reproducible
> test case would be extremely useful in tracking this down.

On the two systems where I've seen this, the recipe is to set up an
SMP+NFS+XFS server, and have a number of clients mount the exported
filesystem, then perform reads and writes...

The two servers are used very differently - one is holding a small
number of source trees that are compiled/linked on a small cluster. The
other is holding a very large number of user home directories, where the
primary use is web serving (web servers running on the NFS clients).

A google for 'debug.c:106' turns out some 120 results - it seems that no
special magic is needed, other than a few boxes to set up the test
scenario.

On the 29th of februrary, akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx submitted (as comment #23 to
bug #309) a description of a test setup along with a shell script that
was used to trigger this problem.

--

/ jakob