Re: Scheduler experiences (with Reiser4 bug report)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 12:56:36 EST

Markus Törnqvist wrote:
Yours truly wrote:

I haven't tried nicksched in a while, but it didn't perform as well as
Staircase.

Just gave -rc1-mm3 a shot and had my filesystems say bad things.
shrike kernel: reiser4 panicked cowardly: assertion failed: extent_get_start(ext) == extent_get_start(&uf_coord->extension.extent.extent)
/bin/sh: line 1: 4407 Segmentation fault rm -f fs/xfs/.xfs_bmap.o.d

Didn't get around to renicing X, but anyway, app launch time was longer
and the music did twitch a bit when starting the simultaneous kernel
and glibc compiles. So I'm still on Staircase and don't see any reason
to change away.

I retried running as much cpu-intensive stuff as I could on cko5, basically
ck6, and everything was smooth. Respects to Con for that :)

This is not a troll nor a flamebait, but an honest question.
Should the need to re-nice X not be seen as broken behavior?

It would be desirable to have things run without doing that, people will undoubtedly call it a bug or tuning, depending on point of view.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)