Re: Major XFS problems...

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 12:34:58 EST

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:36:58AM +1000, Greg Banks wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 01:44, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
> > SMP systems on 2.6 have a problem with XFS+NFS.
>
> Knfsd threads in 2.6 are no longer serialised by the BKL, and the
> change has exposed a number of SMP issues in the dcache. Try the
> two patches at
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108330112505555&w=2
>
> and
>
> http://linus.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> (the latter is in recent Linus kernels). If you're still having
> problems after applying those patches, Nathan and I need to know.

Ok - Anders (as@xxxxxxxxxxxx) will hopefully get a test setup (similar
to the big server) running tomorrow, and will then see if the system can
be broken with these two patches applied.

Are we right in assuming that no other patches should be necessary atop
of 2.6.8.1 in order to get a stable XFS? (that we should not apply
other XFS specific patches?)

Thanks,

--

/ jakob