Re: Major XFS problems...

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 10:47:30 EST

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:04:16AM -0500, Anando Bhattacharya wrote:
> Jakob,
>
> I am a XFS freak, I have a ton of servers with RAID <hardware> and
> also run XFS over finely tuned NFS. Never had a problem. Only once
> when there was a power faliure, the journal took 20 mins to read to
> come back up. But otherwise XFS is pretty damn stable.
> My xfs box just runs linux 2.4.18-xfs and runs nfs over it on an
> Single Athlon 1800 or something like that has a 1GB of RAM and has a
> 3Ware Raid card it shares to about 200 workstations.

This, along with other information from XFS bugzilla and the xfs list
etc. etc. seems to suggest that there is a common trend:

SMP systems on 2.6 have a problem with XFS+NFS.

UP systems on 2.4 and possibly 2.6 does not have this problem.

We'll be testing with a 2.6.8.1 UP kernel, next time the big server
reboots (it's been up for the better part of a day now so it shouldn't
take long ;)

--

/ jakob