Re: [patch] generic-hardirqs.patch, 2.6.9-rc1-bk14

From: La Monte H.P. Yarroll
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 07:32:38 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

the attached patch moves generic hardirq handling bits to
kernel/hardirq.c. It is not a replacement for any of the existing IRQ
functions, so architectures can use their existing hardirq code in an
unmodified form. It is a library of generic functions that an
architecture can make use of optionally.

I've fully converted x86's irq.c to use the new functions, and Scott
Wood has done the same for ppc/ppc64 as well. (the arch-ppc* changes are
not included in this patch because i couldnt test them myself in the
current port of this patch - but the generic bits were tested on ppc.)

In the interests of full provinence, the TimeSys patches are based on
work by Andrey Panin.

i have test-compiled and test-booted the patch on x86 and x64, on SMP &&
PREEMPT and !SMP && !PREEMPT kernels. x64 needed only a single change (a
setup_irq() prototype) to work fine, which makes me believe that the
patch will not break other architectures either.

(a more complex version of this patch has been tested for weeks as part
of the voluntary-preempt patches as well.)

Ingo

--
Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell's sig