Re: multi-domain PCI and sysfs

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 23:19:21 EST

On Tuesday, September 7, 2004 4:11 pm, David S. Miller wrote:
> This is a real touchy area btw, because if there is no
> VGA card, such I/O port accesses are going to trap and
> we need to have a common way to handle that somehow.

So I take it your platform won't soft fail the accesses and return all 1s? On
ia64, I've got a patch to add some machine check code to deal with it, but it
requires pre-registration of the regions that are to be used for legacy I/O
(i.e. I have to record the memory range and pid at /proc/bus/pci mmap time so
that the machine check handler can send a SIGBUS). A potentially cleaner
option which Ben and I would prefer is to use the vga device Jon is creating
to do legacy I/O with explicit read/write or ioctl calls.

Jesse