PROBLEM: x86 alignment check bug

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 18:56:21 EST

Exception reporting for alignment check violations on x86 is broken (unfortunately, rather badly, and rather hard to fix). Look at the trap function which fills in the si_addr field during an unaligned memory access, 2.6.8.1-mm4+, arch/i386/kernel/traps.c, Line 522:

DO_ERROR_INFO(17, SIGBUS, "alignment check", alignment_check, BUS_ADRALN, get_cr2())

The hardware does not fill in %cr2 with the faulting address on alignment check exceptions (at least on all processors I have tested); this assumed behavior is also not documented in either the Intel or AMD processor manuals, so at least in my understanding, it does not exist. What happens instead is that the last occuring page fault address is passed to the user via the siginfo struct. This address may be completely random and have nothing at all to do with the alignment check exception. If any memory debuggers use #AC and are relying on SIGBUS to provide a correct address, they may get very confused.

I've attached a sample C program demonstrating the problem.

zach-dev:zach $ ./a.out
Read only write address = 40016000
fault address = 40016000
Unaligned write address = 40018001
fault address = 400a2b70

Clearly, this is not correct. Considering how difficult the fix is (the kernel must disassemble the faulting instruction and use register information to determine the faulting address), perhaps it is best to simply remove the extra error info from the siginfo struct - the single UNIX spec does not actually say that SIGBUS must provide and address information. If the si_addr info is left, it should be clearly documented that it does not work properly.

Kernel version: apparently, all

Doing a historical search, apparently this was discovered before:
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2001/May/0309.html

Zachary Amsden (zach@xxxxxxxxxx) #include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <setjmp.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>

void *faultAddress = 0;
jmp_buf env;

void getFaultAddress(int signo, struct siginfo *info, void *data)
{
faultAddress = info->si_addr;
longjmp(env, 1);
}

int main()
{
long *l;
struct sigaction sa;
sa.sa_sigaction = getFaultAddress;
sa.sa_flags = SA_SIGINFO | SA_ONESHOT;
l = (long *)mmap(0,4096, PROT_READ, MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_PRIVATE, -1, 0);
printf("Read only write address = %08x\n", l);
sigaction(SIGSEGV, &sa, NULL);
if (!setjmp(env))
l[0] = 1;
else
printf("fault address = %08x\n", faultAddress);
l = (long *)mmap(0,8192, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_PRIVATE, -1, 0);
l[0] = 2;
l[1024] = 3;
l = (long *)(((char *)l)+1);
printf("Unaligned write address = %08x\n", l);
sigaction(SIGBUS, &sa, NULL);
__asm__ __volatile__("pushfl\n\t"
"orl $0x40000,(%esp)\n\t"
"popfl");