From: Horst von Brand
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 17:04:40 EST

Spam <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Hans Reiser <reiser@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

[...]

> >> Put in (undoubtedly overly) simple terms, if you can do it to a file you
> >> can do it to the file personality, but if you currently can only do it
> >> to a directory and get an error from attempting it to a file then in the
> >> new scheme doing it to the hard link only gives the same error.

> > Let me sort this out: If it can't be done POSIXly to a directory, it can't
> > be done in Reiser4 to a file (which really is a directory too). So there
> > can be exactly _one_ hard link to a file. Way borken.

> But you can make a hard link to a file in reiser4,

IIUC, this isn't safe (you might tie your filesystem into a knot this way,
as LWN puts it). Sure, you can do it right now (just as I was able to
create hard links to directories in some propietary Unix way back;
untangling the resulting mess, complete with segfaulting fsck, was a whole
world of fun... it just happened rarely enough that it did not matter very
much); production versions will have to forbid it (or incurr in _huge_
overheads locking everything in sight, or detecting loops).