Re: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to documentthe idea of what reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 15:36:54 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

Answer: choose obscure names

Problem (all credit to Mr. Demidov for identifying this problem, I
argued the other viewpoint, and I can only claim the wisdom to know
that I lost the argument): names like "..metas" are ugly to new users,
who don't really care for languages that use punctuation in their
keywords.

Answer

don't make them too obscure, experienced namespace developers know
that the problem of polluting the namespace is not really as big a
deal as beginners think it is, and Clearcase and the WAFL filesystem
manage to get by just fine, whereas the problem of putting punctuation
marks into names and syntax is a big deal for newbies to the system.
Name it "metas" not "..metas", and users will never experience it as a
real problem, and newbies will never be annoyed by a-rhythmic
punctuation. Note: if Linus disagrees, it is not the most important
thing in this design, "..metas" isn't the end of the world.

What about choosing just "..." instead of "metas"? "metas" is string
that needs translation etc, while "..." is nicely neutral.

cat /sound_of_silence.mp3/.../author

does not look bad, either...
Pavel

"..." is pretty good, but I think it has been used by others, but I really forget who. I could live with "...", but I think "metas" and "..metas" will collide less often. Apparently Meta is a finnish name or something, so Linus does not like it. The exact string is really not very important to me. I agree that "..." is elegant.

Hans