Re: [discuss] f_ops flag to speed up compatible ioctls in linux kernel

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 13:32:38 EST

Hello!
Quoting r. Andi Kleen (ak@xxxxxxx) "Re: [discuss] f_ops flag to speed up compatible ioctls in linux kernel":

> > > That would be IMHO far uglier than two.
> > >
> > > -Andi
> > >

> > What would be a good name? ioctl32/ioctl64? ioctl_compat/ioctl_native?
>
> Later two sound ok to me.

Wait, I think that a properly coded ioctl can always
figure out this is a compat call by looking at the command
(see example below).
So maybe we can live with just one new entry point with these
semantics?

MST

Example:

my_ioctl.h

//This structure size is different on 32 and 64 bit systems
struct my_foo {
long foobar;
};

#define FOO _IOR(MY_MAGIC,0,struct my_foo)

//
my_ioctl.c

struct my_foo32 {
int foobar;
};
#define FOO32 _IOR(MY_MAGIC,0,struct my_foo32)

static int ioctl_native (struct inode *inode, struct file *file, unsigned int
opcode, unsigned long udata_l);
static int ioctl_compat (struct inode *inode, struct file *file, unsigned int
opcode, unsigned long udata_l);

static int ioctl (struct inode *inode, struct file *file, unsigned int
opcode, unsigned long udata_l)
{
switch (opcode)
{
case FOO32:
return ioctl_compat(inode,file,opcode,udata_l);
case FOO:
default:
return ioctl_native(inode,file,opcode,udata_l);
}
}