What is the maximum size in ramdisk_size boot parameter?

From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 07:08:35 EST

Hello,
I am trying to boot my laptop via PXE and I still am in the middle of nowhere...

So, while trying to cram more and more stuff on a ramdisk, I started seeing "strange behaviour" and this got me thinking, is there a limit to ramdisk_size boot parameter??

Looking at drivers/block/rd.c (on 2.6.8.1) I couldn't find anything like that...
So is there any intrinsic upper limit, apart from the total RAM size?

And what happens if I say ramdisk_size=10240 (10MB) and I load only 1MB image into it.
Will the "unused" memory be freed? i.e. is the size dynamically allocated (<docs) and the ramdisk_size is only the upper bound?

Kalin.

--
( ) http://ThinRope.net/ ( )