Kernel Programming

From: Dinesh Ahuja
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 05:18:58 EST

I have an experience in Solaris and Linux but I have
never worked on Kernel level Programming. I am very
keen to learn the Kernel level Programming so that I
can customize the kernel for my own needs. Could
anyone suggest me a book which can explain me about
the Kernel source tree and how to proceed with Kernel
Programming explaining the source code of kernel in
detail so that i can get comforable with the Kernel.

I have Kernel 2.6.8 installed on my machine and I am
interested in learning about futex, work queues and
NPTL.

But when I say man futex, it does not display any
details about that. Do these functionalities are in
built in Kernel or I need to install some patch to get
their support. Is there any book on Programming with
Kernel 2.6 which could explore the new features
introduced in this kernel from programming aspects.

Regards
Dinesh