Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 03:39:57 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:

They have to be merged. Cards with two heads need the mode set on each
head. fbdev only sets the mode on one head. If I teach fbdev how to
set the mode of the other head fbdev needs to learn about memory
management. The DRM memory management code is complex and is a big
chunk of the driver.

I would also like to fix things so that we can have two logged in
users, one on each head. This isn't going to work if one them uses
fbdev and keeps swithing the chip to 2D mode while the other user is
in 3D mode. The chip needs to stay in 3D mode with the CP running.

Yes! I use the ruby patch and have two users logged in on the
two heads of a G550. It works fine - as long as no mode
change is attempted. And only one user can use 3D (or even 2D),
the other is stuck with a unaccelerated framebuffer.

We're not going to get OOPS display while running X without merging.
Something I would really like to have since I just had some and was
force to hook up a serial console.

Also nice to have.

Helge Hafting