Re: Linux serial console patch

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 10:47:44 EST

Russell King wrote:
On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:32:27AM +0000, Danny ter Haar wrote:

James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have read your posts to lkml containing your serial console flow control
patches firstly for 2.4.x and then for 2.6.x kernels.

Does this fix junk being output from the serial console?
If one is using Pentium 4 HT, it seems that both CPU cores try to send characters to the serial port at the same time, resulting in lost characters as one CPU over writes the output from the other.

We have multiple P4-HT enabled servers with debian installed & serial
console enabled (RPB++ ;-) and _i_ have never seen this behaviour.

I don't think this is a serial problem as such, but a problem with the
kernel console subsystem (printk) itself. Maybe James can provide an
example output to confirm exactly what he's seeing.

http://www.superbug.demon.co.uk/latency/

There are 2 oops traces there. At about line 176, the corruption starts.