Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives (was: silent semantic changes with reiser4)

From: Spam
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 10:00:56 EST

> Salut,

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 01:43:02AM +0200, Spam wrote:
>> Yes why not? If there was any filesystem drivers for the AudioCD
>> format then it could.
>>
>> I had such a driver for Windows 9x which would display several
>> folders and files for inserted AudioCD's:
>>
>> D: (cdrom)
>> Stereo
>> 22050
>> Track01.wav
>> Track02.wav
>> 44100
>> Track01.wav
>> Mono
>> 22050
>> Track01.wav
>> 44100
>> Track01.wav

> So you'd like the kernel to know about raw CD PCM and RIFF PCM format
> and conversion? Great.. That's really Solarisish!

If it could be done in userland, and still be accessible for most
applications then that is great.

If the user things that such a plugin is of value for him then I do
not see why he should not be able to use it? Again these are example
of stuff that could be done if there was a plugin/extensible
interface.

You make it sound like everything on the planet should be predefined
and included in the kernel. This is not what I was saying or wanted.

From what I understood from Hans, there will be a way to load
plugins without having to recompile reiser4 module (or the kernel).
This is what I'd like to see.

Some things/plugins may even be partially user-space.

~S