Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Tonnerre
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 09:29:15 EST

Salut,

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:35:58PM +0000, Erik Hensema wrote:
> In this case it's hard to imagine what advantages a multistream file
> will bring, simply because we aren't used to working with them. Or
> maybe there aren't any advantages at all. Point is: we don't know
> yet. Maybe we have to toy with the idea for some years before we
> really learn why multistream files are so great.

Thus I recommend doing the same thing everything does to get his stuff
implemented.

How did User Mode Linux get accepted into the kernel?

In the beginning, people couldn't imagine any advantage of it. Then,
someone started coding it and provided patches. People tried it,
improved it (important! It got to work on many platforms while being
out of the main tree!) and some day we noticed that it was really cool
for kernel hacking and virtualization.

So when it approached a mature level where we finally saw it was cool,
it went into the mainline kernel, where it is now.

For multistream files, what is that development cycle going to be? Get
the idea, flame, flame, flame... ?

Code talks, bullshit walks.

Tonnerre